Statement on Independent Investigation Regarding Surveillance and Doxxing
June 30, 2021
Content Warning: Harassment, Systemic Racism, Doxxing
We encourage you to prioritize your mental and emotional wellbeing as you choose how you want to engage with this statement.
To members of the SSMU community,
The Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) has officially launched an independent and confidential investigation into the alleged existence of a “blacklist” of Palestinian and pro-Palestine students at McGill. The investigation will also scrutinize the extent to which any student may have known about the list, or used the list for specific purposes.
The SSMU Executive Committee has launched this investigation because we believe that the grave allegations made by a SSMU Club, namely McGill Students in Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR) should not be taken lightly. The potential existence of this list poses a grave threat to the physical and mental well-being of many of our fellow McGill community members. Furthermore, we recognize that many McGill students and faculty have been doxxed in the past few years on public websites like Canary Mission, in an effort to “punish” them for pro-Palestine activism. As SSMU executives, we believe it is the duty of our student union to stand against such abhorrent profiling, repression, surveillance and harassment of our fellow students.
We ask any student, faculty, staff, alumni, student group or member of the community to come forward, if they believe they may have information which could assist in the conduct of this investigation. The identities of those wishing to disclose evidence or testimony will be kept strictly confidential by an independent investigator. Requests to present evidence, testimony, or to speak can be sent directly to the independent investigator Joanne Brodeur by email at email@example.com and/or by phone at 514-451-5320.
We acknowledge that these are difficult times for marginalized communities. We would like to remind you that the resources below are available to you.
The SSMU Executive Committee
- Keep.meSAFE | Through MySSP app (Mobile app, iOS and Android) (60+ languages, 24/7)
- Montreal Sexual Assault Centre | 1-888-933-9007 (bilingual, 24/7)
- Provincial Hotline | 514-933-9007 or 1-888-933-9007 (bilingual, 24/7)
- Crisis Text Line | Text HOME to 686868 (bilingual, 24/7)
- CAVAC (Crime Victim Assistance Centre) | 1-866-532-2822 (bilingual)
- SOS violence conjugale | 1-800-363-9010 (bilingual, 24/7)
- Écoute Entraide | 514-278-2130 or toll free 1-855-365-4463 (français, 8H-00H/7)
- Suicide Action Montreal | 1-866-277-3553 (bilingual, 24/7)
- Tel-Aide | 514-935-1101 (bilingual, 24/7)
- Sexual Assault Centre of the McGill Students’ Society (SACOMSS) | firstname.lastname@example.org
- McGill Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support, and Education (OSVRSE) | 514-398-3954, email@example.com
- Student Wellness Hub | 514-398-6017
- Office of the Dean of Students | 514-398-4990, firstname.lastname@example.org
- McGill Ombudsperson | 514-398-7059, email@example.com
- International Student Services (ISS) | 514-398-4349
- McGill Security Services | 514-398-3000
- McGill Students’ Nightline | 514-398-6246