Organizing Events

Organizing Events

For most SSMU Clubs, hosting events is the most common way to engage students and attract new members to the Club. The SSMU offers a number of resources – including funding, room bookings, and other services – to aid Clubs in the planning of their events.

Organizing Events:

Insurance and Liability

All Club events and activities must be declared via the Events & Activities Declaration Form prior to its commencement and promotion. We recommend that you submit your events well in advance to ensure your event will be properly covered (~20 days).

Some events might require insurance coverage depending on the type of event, such as athletic events or ones involving alcohol. All SSMU Clubs may be eligible for insurance coverage, but we need up-to-date information to ensure that each activity is covered under our insurance policy. Using the form, you must notify the SSMU of:

  • your Club’s weekly and monthly activities, whether they are held during the academic year or over the summer months 
  • all activities held outside the University Centre (activities held inside the University Centre building do not need to be disclosed since we have record of them being submitted through VEMS)

You will be contacted within 2 business days if your event has been approved or if we require additional information.

Tip: You may fill out the Events & Activities Declaration Form as many times as you need. Each event should have its own submission unless it is a recurring event, in which case please include all dates in the form. 

For activities involving athletics or sports, or those which involve travelling outside the city of Montreal, additional insurance may be required. Fill out the Events & Activities Declaration Form and contact the Clubs and Services Coordinator ( for details on how to obtain extra insurance for these activities. It may take at least 60 days to be processed by the insurance broker.

If you also require a certificate for proof of insurance, or if you have any questions, please contact the Clubs and Services Coordinator ( directly.

Off-Campus Events

If you are planning an off-campus event, make sure to read the Event Checklist / Timeline. If your event is off campus, it is likely that it will be taking place in a public venue. In this case it will be essential to have a contract in place between SSMU and the venue. A contract should be sent to the Events Coordinator in the Event Declaration form for review. As a reminder, student groups CAN NOT sign these contracts, only SSMU can.

Room Booking

Room Booking in the University Centre

One of the many benefits of being a SSMU Club is having access to room and table bookings in the University Centre for events, meetings, parties, rehearsals, and other Club initiatives.

As an Interim Club, you will receive a 50% discount on room booking reservations in the University Centre. As a Full Status Club, you will have up to 15 hours per week of free room booking in the building.

To activate your account, please email the Events Coordinator at You will need your email address to access the EMS room reservation system.

Student groups will be able to find a space for their events and activities by visiting the Events Booking section on the SSMU website.

In the VEMS User Guide you will find all the information to make your reservations.

In the interim, during the University Building Closure, the SSMU is looking into finding other office and event spaces on campus for student groups. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of securing space. 

Room booking in SSMU buildings

Bookings must be submitted via the SSMU VEMS Portal (Internal Booking System) at least 2 business days in advance and within 2 months before the date of the event.

Tabling in the University Centre

If you are a SSMU Club you are allotted eight subsidized hours a week for kiosk and table reservations. 

Please note that this is independent from your subsidized room booking hours. If you have reached your hours for the week, tables and the kiosk can be reserved at an hourly cost with a 50% discount. 


  • If you wish to sell or distribute food and/or beverages you will need to inform the Events Coordinator at before your scheduled reservation to receive authorization. You will need to submit a food permit request form here
  • Disruptive and intrusive solicitation will not be tolerated.

For more information, please visit Plan Your Event.

SSMU-recognized Clubs can book through the SSMU VEMS Portal (Internal Booking System).

Tabling in Other Campus Buildings

SSMU Clubs are also able to book tables for promotion or sales in other buildings – including Leacock, Burnside, Bronfman, and McConnell. You can find a list of bookable locations, along with the relevant reservation processes, detailed here. Clubs may also request room bookings in the McGill Sports Complex. Athletics offers a $15 rental rate for the rental of gyms, activity rooms, and fieldhouse courts for SSMU-accredited groups. Please note that the Sports Complex will contact the SSMU to verify that you are a SSMU-accredited group prior to approving your requests. Contact the Administrative Coordinator ( at the Sports Complex for more information!

Food Sales

Only SSMU student groups that receive authorization from the SSMU Operations Department may sell or serve food on/off campus at designated locations. SSMU student groups who wish to host bake sales, samosa sales, and other food-related events on/off campus will need to complete a Sale & Service of Food Request Form (coming soon) at least fifteen business (15) days prior to the event.

Note: This procedure is not required for hot or cold beverages (such as coffee, tea, packaged juices, or soft drinks) and/or pre-individually packaged food items by the manufacturer that remain un-manipulated (such as granola bars, candies, chocolate bars, etc.).

All procedures are outlined in the SSMU Sale and Service of Food Policy and the MAPAQ regulations to protect the health and safety of all students, employees, and campus visitors.

MAPAQ Permit Request Form (sans but lucratif)

There is a $25 administrative and processing fee in order to extend the legally required food permit to student groups. Groups will be able to rent food equipment required for the food they will be selling as specified in the SSMU Sale and Service of Food Policy from the SSMU. Groups will need to submit their request by filling out the Food Equipment Request Form and paying the applicable fees for the rental of the equipment and supplies.

If you have any questions regarding the food procedures, please contact the Events Coordinator at


The following regulations describe what Clubs can and cannot do with respect to organizing events that include alcohol and alcohol purchasing:

  • Funds may not be used for alcohol purchases except alcohol purchased at venues holding a valid liquor permit for the purpose of consumption on site.
  • Individuals will not be reimbursed for alcohol purchases made outside of venues.
  • The SSMU must approve any events involving alcohol. Clubs must submit a description of their event request via the SSMU VEMS Portal (Internal Booking System) (University Centre events only) or directly to the SSMU Events Coordinator at a minimum of 5 business days prior to the event.
  • If Club funds are used for alcohol purchases that are not permitted within these regulations, sanctions will apply.

If you wish to purchase alcohol, you may do so one of the following two ways:

Consommation sur Place (CSP) or Bar Establishment Permit
Consommation à Domicile (CAD) or Reunion Permit

Only SSMU student groups that receive approval from the SSMU via the Event Declaration and Insurance Form are allowed to proceed with their events that include alcohol and alcohol purchasing.

If you have any questions, please contact the SSMU Events Coordinatorat

Contracts & Agreements

All SSMU Clubs are part of the Society and have no independent legal status. As such, they cannot enter into legally binding contracts or engage in activities that would pose a risk or liability to the SSMU. This includes, but is not limited to, contracts and/or agreements (including verbal agreements) with venues, sponsors, or caterer services.

Should you have any pending contractual agreements with a third party, it is compulsory to submit these agreements (as an attachment) by filling out the Events & Activities Declaration Form or contacting the Events Coordinator ( for processing.

Also, make sure to consider all the information on the Contracts & Agreements Template (MOA).

Guest Speakers

If a Club or other student group desires to invite a guest speaker to their event who may contribute to the McGill community, the event organizer must complete the Guest Speakers Waiver Form and the Events & Activities Declaration Form 10 days prior to the event so that it can be processed and approved.

When a guest speaker event is approved, McGill Security Services may also be consulted to determine whether or not it is necessary to hire security or event management personnel to assist with the event. If security or other event management personnel are deemed necessary, the student group may be responsible for any fees associated with the event. Please contact the Clubs and Services Coordinator ( for more information regarding this.

Event Services

As a Club, you are also able to take advantage of the SSMU’s many student-run Services in order to ensure the success and safety of your event. Some groups you should consider working with:

  • MSERT: The McGill Student Emergency Response Team provides first-aid services to McGill residences and major SSMU events.
  • WALKSAFE: WALKSAFE is a group of volunteers who provide accompaniment for those who are uncomfortable travelling by themselves in the evenings.
  • DriveSafe: DriveSafe is a service that will provide safe and free rides home to anywhere on the island of Montreal on weeknight evenings.
  • Midnight Kitchen Collective: The Midnight Kitchen provides vegan catering services for initiatives that keep within their political mandate.
  • Plate Club: The Plate Club provides free, reusable dishware rentals for special events including those organized by Clubs who want to ensure their event is environmentally sustainable.

*SSMU WALKSAFE’s, Drivesafe’s, and MSERT’s services can be requested through the Safety Service Request form

Event Ticketing System: Zeffy

After careful consideration and due to recent changes in Eventbrite’s pricing policies, we have decided to migrate our event ticketing system to Zeffy. Zeffy’s is a FREE platform for ticketing and fundraising for non-profit organizations.

All SSMU student groups are part of the Society and have no independent legal status. Due to taxation regulations while selling tickets, the SSMU must oversee ticket sales and donations for student groups. This means the SSMU will create Zeffy pages for your events, handle the earnings collection from ticket sales, and deposit the amounts directly into your group’s bank account.

Please note that we discourage using Eventbrite due to the high fees associated with event ticketing and tax requirements. Any fees associated with Eventbrite or another ticketing platform will be directly deducted from the student group bank account.

How to Submit Your Request Form:

  1. Fill out the SSMU Zeffy Request Form;
    Make sure you have the following information handy:
    Complete information about your event
    Clubs: CLUB Key, which you can find in this file
    Services: Department number, which you can find in this file
  2. Ensure your Events & Activities Declaration Form is submitted and approved by the SSMU;
    Please note your event page cannot be created on Zeffy until confirmation that your insurance request has been approved;
  3. Your earnings will be deposited directly to your student group bank account.


  • Please make sure you process your request 2 weeks in advance of your event;
  • Please allow the SSMU Team 3 business days to process your ticketing request.

If you have any questions regarding the progress of ticket sales or requesting refunds for sure attendees, please contact For any other questions related to the approval process of your event declaration form, please contact

Assistance with Events

Should you require assistance with creating your event or finding a venue, we have various preferred venues, caterers, and bars that would be happy to offer you their services and collaborate. Please submit all inquiries to the Events Coordinator (

We do our best to ensure the site is as up to date as possible, but new developments in Club processes may take time to go live. Please take note that the information listed above may not reflect the most recent changes.